+44 (0) 207 374 0212
Getting ready for the Lord Mayor's Show 10th November 2018
The Company is the Mother Livery of the Lord Mayor-elect of the City of London, Immediate Past Master Alderman Peter Estlin. On 10th November we will celebrate the start of his year in office by taking part in the Lord Mayor's Show. The WCIB float will be number 11 in the procession and the Master will ride in a carriage at number 121.
THE WCIB FLOAT
- The float is celebrating the ingenuity and diversity of the City. It features a head with a stream of conscious thoughts representing the innovation and creativity of the City; it has a revolving device representing the joining of hands across the World – the WCIB is the only Company to have International in its title and this also represents the diversity of the City; It then has the helping hands of the WCIB for young and aspiring people from diverse social, gender and ethnic backgrounds. The Company particularly seeks to raise aspirations in disadvantaged young people and raise standards of financial literacy.
- A tickertape will highlight the Lord Mayor’s theme of “shaping tomorrow’s city today”, but also the Lord George values of the International Bankers of honesty, integrity, fairness, skill, expertise and diversity.
- These will also be highlighted in the suffragette style banners carried by the 50 or so walkers accompanying the float. Some of these walkers are members of the Livery, but up to 20 will be students from inner London schools who have participated in an essay-writing competition run across state schools in inner London Boroughs.
- The Company works with many schools located in sight of the City, to try to break down myths and misconceptions about the City as an exclusive environment and encourages students from all backgrounds who may not have considered a career in the City that it could be for them.
- The Company has also been a long term supporter of the Mansion House Scholarship Scheme, supporting bright students from around the world to come to the UK to study and often pursue careers in financial services
- The float has been created by Emergency Exit Arts, a not-for-profit group of artists who specialise in building floats.
Here are some pictures of the early stages of the planning and construction.